Back to Tips Index | "Cheshbon Ha'Nefesh "
- Have you made a will?
- If chas vechalila something were to happen to you, as parents – have you left clear written instructions regarding your kids?
- Have you reviewed your life insurance recently? (Have your agent give you a full list of the amounts that you and your spouse carry.)
- Disability – sometimes this is needed even more than life insurance. (i.e. you lose the ability to work for next 25 years – who fills that financial gap?)– Make sure that your life insurance has a rider including this, or for professionals, a separate policy.
- Are you a sachir ? Ask your employer’s insurance agent to give you a break- down of your Bituach Minhalim. Then ask your personal agent if you are getting the best deal.
- Supplementary Health Insurance – A child needs a complicated eye-op which can be done best in the U.S. or you need a hernia-op but prefer to go to someone who is not on your Kupa or chas vechalila, someone needs major surgery, and you want a second opinion – in all these cases, a private, supplementary health policy would be of great benefit. It is relatively inexpensive – check it out.
- Car Insurance – make sure that your car is insured for all drivers who use it (i.e. young/new/temporary/visitors) - always let your agent know even if someone takes it for a short spin in Efrat.
- Home Insurance – Do you have an assessor’s report for your contents? Have you looked into switching your building insurance (which comes with your mortgage) from the bank to a private insurance company?